The CleverHub

A central source of accountancy related news, arcticles and reviews

Call 0113 518 8800 Call me back

Self-Assessment 2021 – Important Tax Rates and Deadlines Explained

by | Sep 21, 2021 | Personal finance, Tax

January 2022 Update

As in previous year, HMRC announced last week that the Self-Assessment late filing penalty for the 2020-21 returns will be extended to 28th February 2022.
However, the deadline to file and pay your Self-Assessment tax remains 31st January 2022 and late payment interest will still apply.

Here are some more details about the latest announcement:
👉🏻 If you cannot file your return by the end of January, this will not incur a late filing fine, as long as you do file your Self-Assessment tax return online and by the 28th February 2022.
👉🏻 Following the above, you will not be fined for not paying by the 31st January deadline, as long as you do pay your Self-Assessment tax payment in full, or set up a Time to Pay arrangement, by 1st April 2022.

Please be aware that interest on a late Self-Assessment payment will be charged from 1st February, as usual, so it is still advisable to pay on time and by the 31st January deadline if possible.

The deadline for submitting your Self-Assessment Tax Return is 31st January 2022, but it’s a good idea to start getting your finances in order so that you don’t have a last-minute panic.

While the form looks complicated, ensuring you have all the right information to hand is the most important aspect for preparing to submit your form to HMRC

If you do have trouble, our team supports thousands of freelancers and small business owners to manage their accountancy online, including their Self-Assessment Tax Return. Here we explain more about what’s involved.

Who needs to complete a Self-Assessment?

Generally, if you are self-employed or a director of a limited company, you’ll need to submit a self-assessment tax return.  However, there are also lots of other reasons you may need to submit one e.g. you have investments, rental property, higher-rate tax payer, have overseas income or claiming reliefs and allowances, are just a few examples.

What are the deadlines for submitting your Self-Assessment?

For the current tax return, you’ll need to declare income and allowances up to the 5th April 2021 and you will have until 31st January 2022 to complete and submit this to HMRC (31st October 2021 if using a paper submission).

Any additional tax payment based upon your income, is also due by the 31st January 2022.

We have grouped the relevant deadlines into the below table.

Self-Assessment Tax year ended 5th April 2021 Deadline
Register for Self-Assessment 5 October 2021
Paper Tax Return Submission Midnight 31st October 2021
Online Tax Return Submission Midnight 31st January 2022
Pay the Tax you Owe Midnight 31st January 2022


If you are late submitting your tax return or paying any additional tax, you may be charged a penalty and interest on any overdue amounts.

What to include in a tax return?

To complete your tax return, it is necessary to declare all of your income received, (taxed or otherwise) any expenses or allowances available between the period 6th April 2020 and 5th April 2021.

If you are a sole trader:- You’ll need to include details of your total income and a breakdown of any business related expenses you have incurred during the year.  Any profit generated, after your personal allowance is taken off, will be taxed plus class 4 National Insurance charged.

If you are a director or a higher rate tax payer:- If you received a salary, and are required to submit a tax return, you will need to include details of the salary received and tax deducted. These details can be found on the P60 from your employer. You will also need to include any P11d figures, if you have recevied any taxable benefits from your employer.

Furthermore, if you are a company director, you will need to declare any dividends paid paid to yourself from your company.

Don’t forget:- You will need to declare all sources of income on your self-assessment tax return – not just your main source.

For example, if you’ve received other dividend payments, income from other investments, or income from assets, such as a rental property, this will need to be detailed too, as will any pension contributions, state benefits and capital gains (such as a property you’ve inherited), lump sums such as redundancy payments and any foreign income received.

How your personal allowance affects your tax return?

The amount of income tax (and class 4 National Insurance) is generally based upon the income you have earned, less your personal allowance, if you have one (current allowance is £12,500) and after any tax already paid is deducted.

The amount of tax you pay is detailed below. 

Tax Rate (Band) Taxable Income Tax Rate
Personal Allowance Up to £12,500 0%
Basic Rate £12,500 to £37,500 20%
Higher Rate £37,500 to £150,000 40%
Additional Rate Over £150,000 45%
    • Tax rates are different for residents of Scotland.
    • Dividends are taxed at 7.5% up to the higher rate threshold, then 32.5%.

    How we can help?

    We appreciate completing your tax return can be confusing and complicated, so we can help you at each stage.  Using our services, we can register you for self-assessment and prepare and submit your tax return on your behalf.

    This ensures everything is done correctly and makes life easier for you. All you have to do is pay your tax bill using the verification HMRC sends when they confirm receipt of your tax return.

    For more information or help with preparing your tax return, please get in touch.

    IR35 - read more about it

    Find out what changes are coming, how this could affect you and what we can do to help.


    Information for contractors, freelancers and limited company on what help is out there

    Our accounting packages

    Limited Company

    Used by thousands of limited companies and contractors, you get unlimited accounting support and advice, easy-to-use online accounting software all for a single fixed monthly fee. This package also includes our Flex solution to allow seamless switching between a limited company and Umbrella plus free insurance*

    Growing Company

    Our fully bespoke accounting service for limited companies that are growing or in need of additional services. This package includes a dedicated bookkeeper and payroll solutions for multiple employees together with fully pro-active support and advice and face-to-face meetings via video conferencing.  If you need that extra hands-on service, this is perfect for you.

    Need an accountant?

    Clever Accounts offers fixed-fee online accountancy support for contractors, freelancers and limited companies.

    Dedicated accountants, online accounting software and 15 years expertise in the market makes us the perfect choice.

    Find out more Request a call back


    Designed for contractors & limited companies


    Your own dedicated, experienced accountant


    Monthly fixed-fees - no surprise bills


    End-to-end IR35 support and guidance


    Year end accounts, payroll and VAT